8 months ago, just ahead of the elections to be held in Nepal, CPN UML and CPN (Maoist Center) had announced an electoral alliance – today they have merged to become Nepal Communist Party. The Party Unification Coordination Committee has drafted the following agreements:
1. K P Oli and Pushpa Kamal Dahal will both serve as the Chairmen until the General Convention is held and will share equal powers.
2. Narayan Kaji Shrestha, Ishwor Pokharel, Ram Bahadur Thapa, and Bishnu Poudel will be in the secretariat, Narayan Kaji the spokesperson and Bisnhu Poudel, the General Secretary.
3. The party will have a 441 member central committee – 241 members (UML) and 200 members (Maoist).
4. 43 member standing committee – 25 (UML), 18 (Maoist).
5. Oli and Dahal will both remain Chairman until the general convention.
6. The new party’s guiding principle will be ‘Socialism oriented people’s democracy’.
7. The party symbol will remain the sun and will the guiding ideology will be ‘Marxism-Leninism’.
Central members of the Nepal Communist Party (NCP), formed after the unification of CPN-UML and CPN (Maoist Centre), jointly took the oath of office and secrecy at a joint meeting held at the Prime Minister’s official residence in Baluwatar on Thursday.
Top leaders of the newly formed party are addressing the nation from City Hall at the moment.