President Trump of the United States has pulled out of a planned summit between North Korea’s supreme leader which was scheduled to be held in Singapore on June 12. In a letter addressed to Kim Jong-un, supreme leader of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), Trump thanks him for releasing the hostages but says, sadly has to cancel the visit due to the ‘tremendous anger and open hostility’ displayed by the North Korean side in their recent statement.
Sadly, I was forced to cancel the Summit Meeting in Singapore with Kim Jong Un. pic.twitter.com/rLwXxBxFKx
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 24, 2018
The cancellation has come as a shock to the international community, especially to South Korea’s president Moon Jae-in, who was seen expressing deep regret with top security officers.
The meeting, if had been held, would have been the first time a sitting US President would have met a leader from North Korea, and perhaps been Trump’s political victory.
The cancellation came after North Korea destroyed its nuclear test tunnels in Punggye-ri as an initiative towards proving the nation’s commitment to denuclearize. The North has said they would still be open for any dialogue with the United States.
In a statement released by the North’s central news agency, Vice-Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said the country held Mr Trump’s efforts to hold a summit “in high regards”.
“We tell the United States once more that we are open to resolving problems at any time in any way,” he said.