Torrential rain across the nation has affected many regions – inundated photos of Kathmandu Valley, Birtamod, Banepa and many other Terai cities are being widely circulated. Rivers are also swelling triggering the necessity to practice caution. In Bhaktapur, 3 people have died and reports from other parts of the nation are pouring in.
According to the Department of Hydrology and Meteorology’s alert notice, major rivers are likely to swell and trigger early warnings. Water levels in the Kankai, Koshi, Kamala, Bagmati, Narayani, West-Rapti, Babai, Karnali and Mahakali rivers are expected to rise.
Flood’s aftermath so far
- Three people residing in a temporary shelter at Changunarayan municipality, Bagishwori-7 were killed after flooding. Those deceased are yet to be identified.
- Banepa’s Pul bazaar has been inundated and vehicular movements have been obstructed after the Purnamaya River swelled.
- The areas on both sides of the Araniko highway from Chardobato to the way leading to Balkot are waterlogged in Madhyapur Thimi.
- A landslide at Fikkal rural municipality-2 of Sindhuli has obstructed the Mid-Hill highway at Sindhuli.
- Rainfall induced landslides have obstructed the Pokhara-Baglung road at Bajung of Modi rural municipality-5.
- Landslides at four different places has obstructed Pasang Lhamu Highway.