U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday said ‘talks with Taliban dead’, while the general in charge said that the U.S is likely to ramp up operation to counter an increase in Taliban attack.
Trump made the decision of scrapping talks with Taliban after an American soldier was killed in a suicide bombing in Kabul last week.
“They’re dead. They’re dead. As far as I’m concerned, they’re dead,” Trump told reporters when asked about the talks.
The talks that would consist of Afghan President were planned for Camp David, Maryland, over the weekend and were expected to cap the months of US negotiation with Taliban militants who control large parts of the country.
A draft accord agreed last week would have seen about 5,000 American troops withdrawn over coming months in exchange for guarantees that Afghanistan would not be used as a base for militant attacks on the United States or its allies.
However, the end of the talks has fueled fears of further increase in violence across Afghanistan, who were already involving in the attacks while the talks were taking place in recent weeks.
The Taliban said on Sunday that more American lives would be lost as a result of Trump’s decision to cancel talks.
Bringing U.S. troops home was always Trump’s main foreign policy objective but he said ‘at the right time’.
President Trump has said he would like to reduce U.S. troops in the country to about 8,600.