The United States has announced to withdraw its remaining forces form the northern part of Syria in the coming days after the expansion of Turkey’s led offensive, in order to avoid a bloody conflict between Turkey and formerly US-backed Kurdish fighters, defense secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday.
On the other end, Syria’s army has agreed upon a deal with Kurdish forces to redeploy its border along Turkey. On Sunday, Syrian state media reported that units from the Syrian President were moving north to “confront Turkish aggression and on Syrian Territory.”
The news have become major victories for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in sense of Washington’s waning influence over events in Syria. Turkey’s onslaught in northern Syria which Turkey’s stated aim is to carve out a ‘safe haven’ to resettle 3.6 million Syrian war refugees, has also opened the possibility of the escape of Islamic State Militants and their families held by the Kurdish forces.
The region’s Kurdish Administration claimed that over 750 Islamic State-affiliated foreigners have escaped the camp at Ain Issa following Turkish’s shelling; however the British-based war monitor Syrian Observatory for Human Rights denied, confining the escape to 100.
A Turkish air strike in Ras al Ain killed 14 people including 10 civilians on Sunday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said.
More than 130,000 people have been displaced from rural areas around Tel Abyad and Ras al Ain as a result of the fighting, the United Nations said.
Turkey President Tayyip Erdogan told reporters that Turkish forces and their Syrian rebel allies had besieged Tel Abyad, a key border town west of Ras al Ain and the offensive would extend from Kobani in the west to Hasaka in the east and extend some 30 km (19 miles) into Syrian territory.
Erdogan also said Turkish-led forces had killed 440 SDF fighters so far.